If you’ve been accused of indecency with a child, proving your innocence will require skilled and experienced legal representation. You need a lawyer who is well-versed in defense of sex crimes, particularly in the state of Texas.
Not just any lawyer can pull you out of your case and clear your name of any charges. Thus, the need for a legal expert.
One of the first important steps you must take is to understand your alleged crime. How much do you know about indecency with a child?
Two types of criminal charges
You will be charged indecency with a child by exposure when you’re proven:
- To have exposed your genitals or anus in the presence of a child aged 17 and under.
- To cause a child under the age of 17 to expose their genitals or anus for your sexual arousal or gratification.
You will be charged indecency with a child by contact when you’re proven:
- To have touched certain body parts of a child under 17. These are genitals, breasts, or anus.
- To have touched a child under 17 with your genitals, breast or anus.
Are you guilty of any of these actions? It’s futile to try to reason with a victim or their parents. It’s best to consult with a child pornography attorney right away.
Doing so will also spare you from doing or saying anything that will implicate you further.
What penalties await someone guilty of indecency with a child?
Whether by exposure or touch, sex offenders face serious penalties when proven guilty.
A conviction brought on by indecent exposure is a third-degree felony offense. Penalties include:
- 10-year registration as a sex offender
- 2 to 10 years of imprisonment
A conviction brought on by indecent touching is a second-degree felony offense. Penalties include:
- Lifetime registration as a sex offender
- 2 to 20 years of imprisonment
Both convictions may also incur up to $10,000 fine.
To register as a sex offender alone is a major blow to your reputation. This can result in a loss of respect and livelihood. Anyone would have a hard time recovering from this.
With the help of a sexual assault attorney Houston clients recommend, you may not even feel the stigma associated with the crime. Choose someone who can aggressively and vigorously defend all charges of sexual assault against you.
Don’t lose hope just yet
Even if the case against you seems strong, the right Houston child sexual assault attorney can overturn it to your favor.
Just make sure to contact a lawyer right away. The sooner you do this the better a potential outcome.
In the meantime ….
- Don’t make any statements to anyone asking you about your case until you consult an attorney. Even a law enforcement officer can’t force you to tell them anything if you lawyer up.
- Gather and preserve any physical evidence you have that might help prove your relationship with a victim or is related to the alleged victim. These include photos, objects, clothing, and videos.
- If you have related documents or records, gather and preserve all of them. These include letters, emails, phones and GPS records, and other information that might show you are not with the victim at a certain time.
Most importantly, list down all possible witnesses who can help your case. Combined with an aggressive and reliable indecency with a child attorney, you have a chance of winning your case.